Saturday, November 3, 2012

Ten Things I Have Learned From A Flooded Basement

On Tuesday/Wednesday when Sandy was passing by, we lost power for one day, the sump pump stopped working, and our basement got FLOODED! I wish I would have taken a photo of my basement so I could post here. Anyway my basement looked something like this:


Via

From this situation I have learned several things:

ONE - Don't get so frustrated over a wet basement when many people have lost everything including their own life!

TWO - Have a backup sump pump system. The backup sump pump system will work for you when the power (or your primary sump pump) fails.

THREE - Don't try to buy a generator after a storm when everybody needs one. You will find empty shelves. If you really need one, you should go and get one NOW.

FOUR - In order to remove the water you need: a) to wait for power to come back; b) to pay a plumber to remove the water; c) to get a generator or a gas sump pump.

FIVE - When the water is gone, you should dry everything as soon as possible. Open the windows and turn the heat on, or close the windows and turn the dehumidifier on.

SIX - Use pine-sol to stop the mold, not bleach.

SEVEN - Get soaked items away from your home such as rugs.

EIGHT - Get some air freshener for your home.

NINE - Be patient with your partner. Situations like this can make people cranky.

TEN - Be thankful for everything. The sun will always smile after every storm.

8 comments:

  1. One is so true. Flooded basements are still no fun though! I am keeping all those affected by Sandy in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog . You have a new follower from chile

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good tips! Hope you stayed safe and that this was the worst Sandy brought to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to hear that your basement flooded but at least only your basement flooded. We definitely need to be more prepared for storms too. Living hear in the South you never know when a tornado might hit.
    Visiting via Imparting Grace.

    I am hosting a Thankful Thursday link-up and would love for you to link up this post.
    http://www.colortransformedfamily.com/2012/11/15/thankful-thursdays-forever/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Be thankful for everything!
    This takes practice...
    Many blessings is you sludge...
    lib
    http://bit.ly/VKjWGT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. That’s a lot of lessons you got there. But I believe that for every situation, whether it is good or bad, you can pick up some lessons that you can use in the near future. If I may add, I think one of the most important lessons on your flooded basement situation is to waterproof your basement and home. Water damage can wreak havoc on your properties, and it is best to be prepared for such instances.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bless you! I'm so sorry about your basement, but thankful that it was not your entire house that was flooded.

    Thank you for the tips! The one about Pine-Sol really intrigues me. WIll it kill bleach? I'd never heard that before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by this morning. Yes... bleach kills mold. However the humidity in the basement will cause the spores to grow quickly again. Pine-sol works better because it will stop mold's return 20 times longer. Isn't it interisting?

      Delete

I am glad you are here. Thanks for reading my blog.