Friday, November 30, 2012

The not so fun DIY part

Weekend is here... time to finally sit back and relax. This past week I have been working on my small chest which I have found on Craigslist. Remember that? I talked about it here.



 I was hoping to be done with this project within a day or two? It didn't happen. :-(

My major problem is not having a proper "craft room" or any other area that I could do my "stuff."  It is cold here in OH and it is impossible to work outside. So I have been working in my basement. Not a good place to sand your furniture... but I wanted it done so I did it anyway... Now I have dust everywhere. :-(

I was hoping to keep the original chest feet. After looking at them again I knew I didn't have the skills (and proper tools... or the desire) to fix them. They were pretty bad...


Not a big deal, right? After all I had the opportunity to change the furniture legs/feet for the first time. I was actually excited about it! :-)
So I went to Lowe's and bought this...
 

... and then I CHANGED MY MIND. I went back to Lowe's and bought this...
 
... and then I CHANGED MY MIND again. Back to Lowe's! I finally found this... and I won't change my mind. I promise I won't! :)

 
After a few trips to Lowe's, a few scratches on my hands, dust all over my hair and everywhere, I was ready to paint.
 
 
I grabbed a can and started spraying... Oh boy... I don't know what I was thinking (Actually I was not thinking... I was talking on the phone) Huge, huge mistake. Instead of using primer I was using a protective gloss finish... that one the you use last to protect the paint. Alone in my basement I felt so, so... stupid! At least I didn't get to spray the drawers. I tried to remove the finish quickly but I could not get everything off. You know what that means, right? More sanding! At that point I knew it was time to take a long two/three day break. I didn't cry but I was mad at myself for such a stupid mistake.  
 
I thought it would be a good idea to share the real life behind the before and after pictures of DIY transformations. Hopefully I have a story with a happy ending next time. :)
 
Have a nice weekend everyone!
 
 
 
  


7 comments:

  1. I've been DIY'ing for a long time, and I've made some HUGE mistakes along the way. It's good to know I'm not alone. I know this chest will turn out great (when you're ready to work on it again), and I can't wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you considered chalk paint? I haven't used it and I know it's expensive, but I hear a little goes a long way and you don't have to do any prep work like sanding or painting. Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard about chalk paint but I had no idea no prep work was necessary. Wow! Thanks so much for the info. I will check that out!

      Delete
  3. I've felt stupid a couple of times this week .. so I feel your pain ... here's a hug.. Can't wait to see the finished project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww...I am so sorry! It happens. Believe me, everyone makes mistakes. I did laugh about the legs changing three times. lol I have done similar stuff. ;) If you must sand in the basement, get drop clothes and place everywhere and hook your sander exhaust to a shop vac. It does not eliminate all dust, but does help. Not sure where your furnace is, but definitely change the filter when you are done and again in 2-4 weeks. Saw dust circulates and gets everywhere.

    Best of luck with the next phase of your project. It will still be there. Come back to it when you are ready. I have had many projects I had to walk away from, for a little bit. I was too frustrated to come back immediately. lol

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The drop clothes idea is just perfect! I will do that! Thank you so much for the filter tip. You know... I am a newbie DIYer... all your tips (and words of encouragement) are very appreciated.

      Delete

I am glad you are here. Thanks for reading my blog.