Saturday, January 19, 2013

Bold Green Dresser - Refinishing Furniture With Paint And Stain

Hello friends! Hope you all are enjoying your weekend. Remember my dresser color dilemma? Oh well... I took the risk and painted the dresser green. I do love the final result especially after changing the original handles for glass knobs. They are so sweet!






Before...


 ... and after! :-)






For this project I used: Minwax Water Based Wood Stain (Early Spring Color and Green Tea Color - one can of each), Behr Paint 410D-4 Asparagus (one sample size was more than enough for the whole dresser), and Minwax Wood Finish (Golden Pecan 245).






Here is the step-by-step process:


Step 1 - Sand and wipe down the dresser
Step 2 - You should complete this step one small area at a time. For instance I did one drawer at a time, then I did the top, etc... Dip the brush in the Asparagus paint and then in the Green Tea Wood stain. Paint the chosen area. Then wipe the excess with a rag. (Important: always follow the grain direction when using the brush and when wiping the excess down). The dry-to-touch time will be less than five minutes. You will end up with something like this:


Step 3 - Using a brush, cover the area with Early Spring stain.

Then wipe the excess. You should always follow the grain direction. Wait to dry. Remember, stain dries quickly.

Step 4 - This is the tricky part. Using the same wet brush which you have been working with, get a little bit of paint (asparagus) and a little bit of Early Spring stain and dry paint the furniture (follow the grain direction!). If you get too much of each they will mix together and you won't have the same effect.

Step 5 - Distress the dresser (corners, etc...) using sandpaper. Sand these small areas until you see the wood.

Step 6 - After 24 hours cover your furniture with Minwax Wood Finish. Wipe the excess. Wait one or two days until your piece is completely dry. Caution: Use this product only with adequate ventilation! ;-)




Happy to have a "new" dresser and lots of storage!

... and guess what? Just found one more dresser on Craigslist for $20 (unbelievable, right?). I can't wait to refinish it.

See you soon! :-)

TDC Before and After

54 comments:

  1. Great work! I like the layered shades of green you used. I hope you had adequate ventilation? lol ;) Ummm...do you have a dresser obsession? lol Gotta love craigslist! :)

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie! I had to open all the windows... the wood finish has a very strong smell. And yes... I have a dresser obsession. hahaha However I believe this will be the last one. :)

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous! I have never used this method for re-finishing furniture before, but I think I'm gonna have to try! Thanks for sharing!


    Jenna @ http://www.rainonatinroof.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabrizzia a love the final result !!!!Great work! I like the layered shades of green you used

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a fantastic job! I am now following via GFC & Pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you are here Diana! Thanks for the comment! ;-)

      Delete
  5. What a pretty finish you created for your dresser--lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw this through the Craft-O-Maniac Link Party and have to say that the color is perfect! Love the details too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job and the color is fabulous. Don't you just love the storage these big dressers provide? Saw your post at Coastal Charm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta love more storage. Especially when you live in a small home! ;-) Thanks Betsy!

      Delete
  8. This turned out so fantastic! I love the color. I found you from Homemaker on a dime.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am totally into green lately so I clicked on your pic at the party just because of the color.

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Really cool. You did a good job taking that risk of green. I'm so much more of a plain type of girl, I would have just painted it white and not even thought about other colors :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The green is gorgeous!!! Well done!

    I'd like to invite you to check out my thrifted link up!
    http://www.youngheartoldsoul.com

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the color you used to transform your chest of drawers. And the glass knobs are perfect.
    I'm a new follower and hope you'll stop by for a visit.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great color. I'm dying to pain our dressers as part of a total room make over and it's hard to decide which color! Great project.
    Lina
    visiting from WOW

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great makeover. I love your color choice! Dropping by from the Southern Lovely party.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it, especially since green is my fav color! You did a great job! I want to learn to do this so I will pin this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patty! It is not difficult at all. I am glad you like it!

      Delete
  16. Hi Lovely, I'm your new follower from Linky Party.
    Love your awesome blog. Feel free to check out & follow my blog @ www.revampspunkyrena.com
    xoxo
    Rena

    ReplyDelete
  17. You did a beautiful job! Gorgeous color! I am your new follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Maria Elena! I am happy you are here!

      Delete
  18. Wow! You did go bold--what a great result! Good for you. :)

    Thanks for joining Grace at Home!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is fabulous! I love the green.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello,I just love the green I always think green is fresh and clean and crisp. I am for re-painting anything! Thanks for the creative post!
    Blessings, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Green is one of my favorite colors! ;-)

      Delete
  21. This turned out fabulous - just love the green!
    Your newest follower - would love to have you come by for a visit!
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is gorgeous! I love the style of your dresser and the technique you used is so cool! I just completed my own green china cabinet so your dresser caught my eye at Miss Mustard Seed. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer! Saw your green china cabinet! Love it!

      Delete
  23. This piece is beautiful and I love the color.
    I'd love for you to come over and join my Finding the Pretty & Delicious Linky Party.
    http://www.yourhomebasedmom.com/finding-the-pretty-delicious-linky-party-2/

    ReplyDelete
  24. You did a fantastic job on the dresser. Love the bold green color. I will be featuring this tonight at my Winter Blues Wednesday party that opens at 8pm EST. Please stop by and pick up an I've Been Featured button. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  25. So pretty, featuring you this week on "Think Tank Thursday!"

    ReplyDelete

I am glad you are here. Thanks for reading my blog.