Monday, January 14, 2013

Seven Affordable Ideas for Wall Art

Two or three months ago I came to my kitchen and found this on the wall...


I asked my husband about it and he told me he hung the picture (which he found in a sports magazine) as a joke to see my reaction. I didn't react the way he was expecting. I told him the picture would be a good addition to the gallery wall in the office... and I was not joking! In fact I think that's how wall decor should be... it should tell a story, it should have some meaning, and (in my case) it should be affordable.
I have not always thought the same way. A few years ago when we bought our sofa, there was a large picture next to it. We bought the sofa and the picture because they both were "matching." Big mistake. Today I just don't like the picture at all. Eventually I will be replacing it with something more personal, more meaningful. There are so many nice (and affordable!) ideas out there. A few of them which I have been considering... 



1 - Ceramic Tiles
Do you know those leftover ceramic tiles? Group them together on the wall. You can even give them your personal touch by painting them. 


2 - Color Chips

Even when I am done picking a color for a room I never throw the color chips away. I have so many of them. I am thinking about gluing them together over an old framed canvas. 
 

3 - Maps

Are you going to a special place for vacation? Bring home the free map you usually find in the hotel, frame it, and hang it! What a great way to keep the memories alive!
  




4 - Fabric
You don't need to have a window to hang a beautiful fabric remnant. It may be the accent color your room is asking for! 
 

5 - Initial Letter

 What could be more personal than the first initial of your name?
 



6 - Metal Sculptures 

Sometimes wall sculptures can be lost on a large wall. Give them definition by painting a background behind them. 

7 - Word 

A single word can say a lot about you. Paint your favorite word on a blank canvas... 
... or form a word by hanging some letters together. 
Traditional Bedroom design by Denver Interior Designer Interior Design Concepts

Hope you enjoyed these ideas! ;-)

DRESSER UPDATE: Thank you for the suggestions about my dresser color. You guys are the best! ;-) I have been sanding the dresser for the last two days. Oh boy...  I didn't know it would be that much work. But... that's okay! I bought the paint today. It is going to be pretty! ;-)    

Linking up...

9 comments:

  1. What a nice way to share your ideas. Make it personal, make it memorable! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I commend you on your calm reaction...I might not have been so kind! I have to admit that it's a funny joke though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the inspiration! I love re-purposing materials and have never thought of some of these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice way to share your ideas. Thanks for the inspiration . I love the maps

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually really like the moose print too, the expression is pretty funny. Thats really cool that you kept it - your right its the thought and meaning behind it. I like the 'sex' print too but probably wouldnt be game enough to hang it in my living room! Maybe the bedroom is the better place for it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seeing the picture of the moose was a hoot! I really like the other wall inspiration that you showed. I might have to think about doing something with all the paint chips that I have, really liked the chips on canvas idea along with some of the others.
    Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a sweet comment. I'm following you back. Have a fabulous day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is a cool collection of ideas. Reminds me of a trip we just took in October and went on a really cool tour of a historical "castle." An artist had done some really gorgeous paitings of different areas but they were WAY over our budget. They also offered some great cards with the same prints on them for less than $5 a piece.. major win and we got frames at Christmas tree shop so each piece cost less than $10 total.
    i love the LAUGH idea too.. major fan of letters/words on walls.. well anywhere :)
    stopping in from southern lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome ideas - I've written a few blogs about different Wall art ideas, and yours are really creative. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ceramic tiles, colour chips, maps, fabric, letters, sculpture and words are wonderful wall art concepts to have in the home office. Thanks for sharing great designing ideas.

    ReplyDelete

I am glad you are here. Thanks for reading my blog.