Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Dresser Transformation - Painting Furniture with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint

Hi all! Remember my chest of drawers from Craigslist?  Well... it's all done! I thought it would be a great project to finally try out Annie Sloan chalk paint. No sanding, no priming... What's not to like?


Greek blue was my color of choice and I loved it!


I re-toned the previously stained top with Minwax Wood Finish (Jacobean 2750). That gave a darker, richer color to the top.




Here is how I did my dresser transformation:

1 - After removing the hardware, I wiped the dresser with sander deglosser (Home Depot). You want to clean the surface well and this product does a great job.


2 - I used a regular brush to paint the dresser. Here is how it looked like after the first coat:


3 - After the dresser was dry to the touch (it doesn't take long), I applied the second and final paint coat:



4 - When the paint was dry I used a rag (old T-shirt) to apply clear Annie Sloan soft wax to the surface. The wax will feel dry after you have applied it. If not, you have used too much wax. In this case, just wipe down the surface again. I applied clear wax twice just to make sure the dresser was evenly protected.

5 - To be honest I was afraid to use dark wax over my dresser. I waited one more day to think about it and I am glad I took the risk. The dark wax gave a depth of richness to the dresser. I applied the dark wax the same way I did with the clear one (with a rag). If you feel you have applied too much dark wax just wipe the surface again with clear wax to take the excess.

When applying wax, you have to use your muscles to push it into the paint. :-)

6 - I waited 24 hours to buff the dresser. It seems like you can achieve a better shine if you wait that long.

Here are the before and after pictures:


This was a fun project!

What about you? Have you tried chalk paint before?

What I don't know yet is how this paint will hold up to wear and tear over time. Hopefully everything will be fine... Let's wait and see. :-)



Linking up
Under $100 | Think Tank Thursday | Transformation Thursday | Catch as Catch Can | Be Inspired | Feathered Nest Friday | Pity Party | Show and Tell Friday | Furniture Feature Friday | Frugal Friday | Strut Your Stuff | Spotlight Saturday | Show and Tell Saturday | Market Yourself Monday | Motivate Me Monday | The Sunday Showcase | Craft-O-Maniac Monday | Nifty Thrifty Tuesday | Trash 2 Treasure | Swing into Spring | Thrifty Decor Chick | Anything Blue Friday

26 comments:

  1. Fabrizia GOD Job !!, i love the blue color the dresser the look is very nice

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only use ASCP now - but have never bought Greek Blue - now I have to - this turned out over the top amazing!!!
    Visiting from Beyond the Picket Fence,
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woman! You did it again! lol Amazing dresser transformation! Love that shade of blue and like how you darkened the top. Beautiful work as always. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie! Thank you so much! I am glad you like it! :-)

      Delete
  4. Oh, I love it! I love the stained wood on the top against the blue chalk paint! Wonderful job:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to see the various ASCP colors in use. Love the Greek Blue. I see it in my future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! I love chalk paint and really need to utilize it more!

    Cher @ Designs by Studio C
    http://designsbystudioc.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks amazing. I havn't tried it yet, but I love how yours turned out. Nice to hear your review also. I host a party called Inspire Me Tuesday and it goes live every Monday evening. I would love for you to link up any of your projects. www.astrollthrulife.net

    Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that dresser has some nice bones.... And your paint-job really makes it gorgeous, my friend! Happy mothers day!!..… :)

    hugs xx
    Crystelle
    Crystelle Boutique

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty! Right up my alley! Thanks for your visit and comments at the happy housie... I will definitely follow you on FB as well!! Have a fabulous weekend:)
    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful transformation! Thanks for visiting and for the FB follow. Off to visit your now..

    ReplyDelete
  11. The dresser turned out beautifully and like the Greek Blue, too. Its so pretty with the dark wax. Love your blog - will be checking it out often!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am loving this color, it looks beautiful!
    ~Katie

    ReplyDelete
  13. The blue is beautiful. Love the dark stained top and the dark wax does add dimension to the surface. As for durability, I wax my furniture about every three months or so to keep them protected.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, oh wow. That color is beautiful! Great redo. I still haven't tried ASCP but I need to! I am now following you - hope you can pop over and visit me back. :)
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  15. The dresser looks so cool! Just love the idea of the make-over and of course, just love the color used. <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very pretty! I love that blue color, you did a really good job! Stopping by from the before and after party.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautifully done!!! Love your color choice! I just hopped over from The Dedicated House and I'm happy to be your newest follower! I would love to have you stop by for a visit! Have a fabulous weekend! Blessings ~ Judy :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a great color, what a difference! I'll have to give that paint a try!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful! You are one of the features at the Anything Blue Friday party at The Dedicated House. Pop on in and grab a feature button. Here is the link to this week's party. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2013/06/anything-blue-friday-week-15.html Hope to see you again at the blue soiree. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete

I am glad you are here. Thanks for reading my blog.